Friday, October 11, 2019

Testing Alliant Black MZ - 370gr Maxiball Velocity Test


A beautiful day to test out the Velocity and Consistency of Alliant Black MZ with a good solid hunting projectile. I home cast these 370gr Maxiballs with lead that runs in the 7 to 7.5 BHN range. Pure lead in the 5 BHN range. I feel that the shallow rifling in my Traditions St.Louis Hawken .50cal 1:48 twist shoots more accurately with a slightly harder alloy.


 Chronograph set up at 20 feet distance.

I used a target so I could get an accurate sight hold to squeeze out as much consistency as possible.

Shot 1 was the usual low shot on a fully cleaned bore. Shot #1 surprised me as it to was a little low. I made sure to swab the bore CLEAN after each shot and the numbers on the screen really showed me that there is an issue somewhere, as the consistency was all over the board. Accuracy however on shots 3-4-5 were spot on awesome.

80gr Volume Alliant Black MZ

1,368
1,290
1,286
1,252
1,295

Hunting Accuracy? YES! I would be very happy to hunt with this load when it is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment