Thursday, January 2, 2020

How dry is your bore?

#1 reason I always tell folks to flush their barrels with a shot of alcohol! Doing so, helps flush out any left behind moisture or standing water at the bottom of the barrel/breech plug. This barrel had been cleaned with a couple damp patches, then dried. Once "dry" I put my bore camera down to take a look at this is what I came up with.Completely soaked and the face of the breech plug was half clogged with powder fouled which would have caused an issue had I gone out and tried to fire it. 

FLUSH it the old fashion way every time you go to clean! Hot soapy water, dry it immediately, a shot of alcohol and let it drain out. Lubricate with your favorite anti rust oil.
Swabbing between shots on the range can easily push in a wet mush fouling directly into the breech plugs flash channel.

When swabbing the bore clean on the range, I push a dry patch down the bore with the ramrod/range rod and fire a couple percussion caps to dry it out completely. You can verify that the breech is dry by inspecting the patch for burn marks.

No comments:

Post a Comment