Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Olde Eynsford 1.5F Black Powder Testing

I recently purchased 5lbs of Olde Eynsford 1 1/2fg black powder for resupply and to test. I have shot my share of 2fg and 3fg, but wanted to give this bulkier powder a try. As it turns out, it is not much larger than 2fg and is clean and consistent. This powder flows into my drum set up very easily in Traditions St.Louis Hawken and ignition is instant with a CCI #11 Magnum percussion cap.

Today I was testing a variety of charges ranging from 70gr volume, to 90gr volume, using a water patched patch lube so I wouldn't have to swab between shots.

Olde Eynsford did not respond to this very well! In my rifle for example, I had a 7" 3 shot group at 100 yards. After I switched over to Frontier's Anti Rust & Patch Lube however, I was shooting under 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Your results may vary.

Traditions St.Louis Hawken .50cal at 100 yards today. 2 shots using 6 o clock hold. Next 2, I used 12 O clock hold. Only difference was my seating pressure and as you can see, heavy seating pressure did not affect the group size nor the impact. Shes right about 3" high at 100 yards. I do prefer to be dead on, but that's ok, I have plenty of time before I find out if I drew an elk tag or not.

 Overall, I am very pleased with the accuracy and little fouling left behind. Its black powder folks... If cleaning every other shot bothers you, you have picked the wrong kind of weapon to be shooting!

Olde Eynsford is made by Goex as is a performance ( Hot Rod ) Powder made to complete with Swiss black powder. It also costs around $8 less per pound  than Swiss.



No comments:

Post a Comment